The Alexander Handy Memorial & Scholarship Foundation
"Project Alex" is a not-for-profit organization established in 2006 after the death of Alex Handy, who was hit by a car and killed while he was on his bicycle.
This foundation was established to assist the community through youth safety and scholastics.
The long-term goal of the foundation is to play an active role in youth safety and education through donations, sponsorship, fundraisers, and events. 100% of the money that we raise goes back to the community.
Project Alex reminds the young people in our community to be careful, be cautious, be safe and most of all be a free spirit and enjoy life as Alex did!
Support WalkBoston and Project Alex
Our cousin, Samantha, is running the Boston Marathon this year on April 21! She's teamed up with WalkBoston, which helps transform Massachusettsʼ communities into safer, more walkable places. The organization aligns so well with Project Alex's mission, we hope you consider donating! Thanks!
Dates announced for 2014 golf tournament and 5k Walk/Run
Join us for our 8th annual Alex Handy Memorial Golf Tournament on Friday, June 13, 2014 at the Glen Ellen Country Club in Millis.
Save the date for the 6th annual 5K Walk/Run on Saturday, September 13, 2014!
A new website is coming!
We'll announce it soon.
We recently received an email from the McCarthy family to whom we donated bicycle helmets.
"To whom it may concern,
Recently, we received four free bike helmets for all of our family members through your Project.
We are deeply grateful, and accordingly deeply respectful of the work you are doing.
The McCarthys of Medway"
You're very welcome!
Project Alex video
Get to know Alex through the video slideshow that debuted at the second annual Golf tournament. (Thanks to Peet for helping us get this video up on the Web!)
Be a part of Project Alex!
Have a great time while raising money for a great cause -- keeping kids safe! Two annual, major fundraisers help support our community charitable giving:
Annual Alex Handy Memorial 5k Run/Walk
September 7, 2013
Thanks for a great day!
7th Annual Alex Handy Memorial Golf Tournament
June 7, 2013
Thanks for helping us make another successful event!
More ways to contribute to Project Alex
- Sponsored Medway Middle School bullying program, "Girl Chat and Step Up" (performed by Deana's Educational Theatre)
- Medway High School After Prom Party
- Annually paint the Medway Crosswalks "safety blue" in the Spring and Fall
- Support RIF (Reading is Fundamental) in our Medway Elementary Schools
- Donated two class rings to Medway High School
- Donate bicycle helmets to the Medway Police to distribute
- Remodelled Middle School weight room in 2008
- Fund Medway Middle School weight room as an after school program
- Annually award the Medway High School Free Spirit Award, a $2,500 scholarship
- Annual award the Medway Middle School Free Spirit Award, a $500 scholarship
- Donate 20% of sales of children's books written by Ann Handy toward Project Alex charitable giving